Wednesday 22 August 2018

I’ve met Spider-Man. Really, I have


When I was growing up, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was one of my favourite TV programmes. It was a cartoon that featured Spider-Man, Iceman and Firestar and I loved it.

There was something about this group of heroes that captured my imagination. All the way from the villains they fought against to the adventures they went on, there wasn’t a minute of each episode that didn’t engross me. I soon became a mega Spider-Man fan. My mom has told me more recently that I was so obsessed, I’d shoot my own pretend webs at people.

One of my earliest and fondest memories was when Spider-Man made an appearance at a local Radio Rentals shop. It was probably the most exciting moment of my very young life. The actual Spider-Man - Peter Parker himself – was visiting a shop nearby me and I couldn’t wait to meet him. I totally believed that it was the real man and my dad told me a few years later that he even had an American accent, despite this being in Staffordshire. So therefore, it must have been the real Spider-Man.

I got his autograph on a special card that has his image on and I treasured it for years.

Thirty years on and I’m still a huge fan. I love Spider-Man’s amusing comments, determination, intelligence and all round entertainment factor. He’s not faultless and far from immortal, and Peter Parker struggles to make the balance work, but what’s not to love?

Writing My Superhero
My idea for Emmett the Empathy Man, my fourth novel, was totally separate to my love of superheroes. Empathy Man came more from an idea about how I’d wished so many times that someone would come and sort my life out for me. But as soon as I started to think about comics, I knew I had to add in lots about Spider-Man. I particularly enjoyed writing the ongoing debate about who would win in a fight: Spider-Man or Superman. I’m sure you can’t imagine who I was cheering on!

I also spent far too much time on a sequence where the main characters debate what super power they’d like to have. Writing novels is very hard, but sometimes you can have the most amazing fun.

I’d like to thank Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends for setting me on a journey of escapism that sparked my imagination from a young age. I’ve been lucky enough to meet my hero and I’ll never forget it. Because in Radio Rentals that day it must have been the actual Spider-Man, right?

2 comments:

  1. Anker Wireless Offers Nationwide Walkie Talkie Rentals,Two Way Radio Rentals,Push-To-Talk Rentals,& Radio Rentals Wireless Internet Rentals.Call Now 800-447-9867 ForA Custom Quote Today!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rent The Latest Two Way Radios Walkie Talkies From Anker Wireless.Digital Radio Rentals,Citywide Push-To-Talk Rentals,Connect Plus Repeaters,iPhone Rentals,Android Rentals,Wireless WiFi Hotspot Rentals.Call Now 800-447-9867 Or Request A Quote Online.Delivery Pick-Up Availble. NATIONWIDE PUSH-TO-TALK RENTALS Nationwide Shipping.24/7 OnCallRepresentatives."

    ReplyDelete